Monday, September 14, 2009

Take A Letter Maria...

Several weeks ago I was inspired by a very good friend of mine to write to my representatives regarding health care reform. So I did. I wrote to them stating that the lack of a health care system in the US was basically a violation of our inalienable rights as laid out in the Declaration of Independence. Those rights being Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. (I must say a little high school history goes a long way) Today, I actually received a response from Senator Richard Lugar (R). Now, I have always considered old Dick Lugar to be a bit of a donkey in elephant's clothing so I thought I might have a chance there.

Yeah, not so much.

The 'letter' in question was basically a copy of an address to Congress he made stating that his top priority is the economic recession, and then maybe but only maybe when that's over we'll consider possibly thinking about looking at health care IF there's nothing good on TV.

OK, so I paraphrased a bit. I agree the economic recession is hugely important. It absolutely needs attention and corrected. That being said...so many Americans are losing their jobs and along with it, their health insurance. These people cannot afford to go to the doctor so they wait and wait and wait until the problem is so large they cannot possibly afford to do what needs to be done to get well again. This is not helping the economy either.

This is the greatest country on earth but we simply do not look out for one another. It's sad for a country that started with a bunch of pioneers that had to help and rely on each other as a community to survive. Ah, how far we've come.

Remember...it's jungle out there, take care of each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment