Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...

It is a cold, rainy, gloomy week here in Indiana. I vaguely remember that there used to be this bright yellow thing in the sky but I haven't seen it in awhile, so I may have dreamed it. On the other hand, it's a perfect time to cuddle up with a good movie, some knitting and my faithful kitty cat Sullivan.

Sullivan doesn't particularly care for the cold. He gets to be a little cuddle slut when its cold out and cuddles with anyone that will let him including Sloane. During the cold weather is about the only time Sullivan will be nice to Sloane because he wants to curl up with him and get warm.

This desperation for warmth may be indirectly my fault. Every year I try to declare 'Heather Law' and state that we will not turn on the furnace until Nov. 1. Some years it sticks and some years it doesn't. The main purpose in 'Heather Law' is to conserve energy for as long as possible. By waiting until Nov. 1 we can have one more low gas bill and have time to put up plastic insulation around the apartment windows before turning on the heat.

This year is one of the non 'Heather Law' years. I came home from work, the apartment was empty (hubby is on 2nd shift now) but something was different. Then I saw it...the heavy flannel shirt my husband wears around the house when its really cold. And then I smelled the tell tale sign in the air... the furnace had been on! He had turned the furnace on. I checked the theromstat and it was on but then I turned it down a little bit but not off.

I guess someone has to be reasonable around here and at least it doesn't have to be me. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment